Monday, May 6, 2013

13 days and counting . . .

We are on our 13th day with someone in my family having flu like symptoms.  The first child to get it had the worst of the full tobacco flavor (vomiting, high fever, and other gastrointestinal joys), while the next two have just had the high fever for the most part. I'm hoping the last one doesn't get it.

While different aspects of parenting present challenges, I find that being the best, most loving, kind, and patient mom when my kids are sick and want or need something 24/7, is not my first and foremost talent.

I find myself disengaging when I need to be most engaged, and desires of boarding a cruise ship and sailing the ocean blue, keep entering my mind.

Since being more engaged as a mother is something I have been working on, I find it interesting that I am given the opportunity to hone some of the motherly qualities that I would like to be better at, and failing miserably. 

I realize that I am getting exactly the kind of chances I need to help me develop better mothering skills, but now that I have them, I find that I don't want them. 

When all is said and done, it's really not that bad.  My life is so easy and wonderful and overflowing with blessings I can't ever number.  And the perspective I feel that I have on what is important and what is not, helps me to not freak out (well not too much) about the spilled milk, vomiting, diarrhea filled underwear, and constant bickering that seems to come with sick kids.

Talking about perspective, check out the movie "Bernie" with Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, and Shirley MacLaine.  It's a true story about a mortician in this little town of Carthage, Texas.  It documents the town's people praising Bernie as the nicest, most kind man they have ever known, and who would do anything to help you and your family.  The town's people go on and on about how much they love Bernie, played by Jack Black, while they demonize Ms. Nugent, a recent widow whom Bernie befriends out of an attempt to help her in her grieving over her husbands death, and with whom he becomes something of a lap dog.  The town's people describe Ms. Nugent as the meanest, most cantankerous, disagreeable old woman, and when they learn that she is dead at the hands of Bernie, they don't believe it at first.  Then when they find out he is guilty, they still think he is the most wonderful man and say that if they are put on the jury, they are going to acquit him. 
Is that a crazy perspective or what?

  So give me 13 days of flu, and bickering.  I'd rather have moments of disengagement, then think it's okay to murder the little old lady down the street.

As always, have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment