Friday, July 5, 2013

Wasatch Back, reading, and more!

So life has been crazy the last couple of weeks.  I drove the kids to Utah so I could run in Utah's Ragnar relay series, Wasatch Back.  After having run once and trained twice for the DC Ragnar, I thought I would totally be fine with Wasatch Back.  Needless to say, it was a little more challenging than DC.  I had a great first run as runner 9, having a personal best run of 6 min. and 45 sec. miles for my 5k, then by midnight run took place, and since it was 11.6 miles, I wasn't so fast. I was cold, and got hypothermia, vomited, had slurred speech, and incoherent conversations.  When I finally got warm again, but still felt horrible, I really didn't care if I ever ran again.  But then I had my last run up Gaurdman's pass, of course this was after 10 hours of slowly getting better.  Okay, so it really wasn't a run, more like an extremely challenging speed walk straight up hill.  In the end, I loved the whole experience, especially since I got to spend so much time with family and friends laughing, crying, and trying to get sleep, (which didn't happen).

I read a lot of books on my trip, and here's a couple I want to shout about.  The first that I loved is called "Amethyst" by Heather Bowhay.  This book is a totally fun urban fastasy, with bits of paranormal action, and lots of fun romantic tension.  I just finished the second book called "Linked", and it did not disappoint.  It's fun to find new authors that are just awesome to read and take you on a fun journey.  Heather's 3rd book in the series comes out un August, and I will be for sure reading and writing about it.

I also read a fun mystery/sci-fi book called "Disemblance", by Shanae Branham.  It was very well written and had me on the edge of my car seat (literally) on the drive home from Utah.  I loved her writing and characters. 

The fourth of July was fun.  It started bright and early as I ran an 8k.  I have to admit I felt a little sluggish, and I think it had to do with the fact that my body was screaming, "what do you think your doing?  You need to still recover from Ragnar!!!"  I had fun, but like I said, felt sluggish and never really got into my running groove.
We had a fun breakfast at church and the kids paraded around the ward building on their bikes.  We spend the rest of the day lazing around, swimming with friends, eating way too much home made carmel popcorn, ending the night watching the fireworks from the roof of my hubby's office building.  After living in DC for a while, I wasn't expecting the fireworks to be that good in Las Cruces.  But I must say that this smallish town of 100,000 people's fireworks did not disappoint.  Well done!

June was crazy, but July has stared of well, and I live in a great country with my wonderful family and friends.  Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment